Stir fry dishes are a big YES in our house. They are easy and quick to make on days we want to cook but not have to make too much of an effort. Over time, we have identified ingredients that we must always keep in our kitchen for a quick and flavorful stir fry. This includes: soy and oyster sauces, sesame oil, Thai red chillies, garlic, ginger, chicken, carrots, bell pepper, spring onions and chicken/veggie stock bouillon cubes or powder. With these ingredients, we can make many of our favorite stir fried or Chinese dishes.
This easy Cashew Chicken has been a favorite recently for when we want something with a flavorful sauce. This goes perfectly with some boiled plain or egg fried rice.
- Brown sugar- 1/4 cup
- Ginger julienne- 1 tsp
- Garlic minced- 1 tsp
- Vegetable broth- 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce- 1/3 cup
- Thai red chilli- 1
- Sesame oil- 1 tsp
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Chicken filet (cut in cubes)- 250g
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Carrots- 1 cup
- Spring onions- 1/2 cup
- Yellow bell pepper- 1 cup
- Cashews- 1/2 cup
- For the sauce: in a bowl, add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger julienne, garlic mince, sesame oil, chopped Thai red chilli, vegetable broth. Mix well and set aside.
- In a wok over high flame, add oil. Once heated well, add chicken cubes, salt and black pepper. When chicken has turned white, but not yet fully cooked, spoon it out of the wok.
- Without turn off the flame, add carrots and spring onions in the same oil and chicken grease. Cook for 5 minutes and then add bell peppers.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add chicken and pour the sauce. Stir fry for another 3 minutes and then add cashews. Cook another 2 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with green part of the spring onions and serve with rice.