Does anyone cook or bake something just because the house smells incredible afterwards? Because we do! I have recently been in a cake-baking funk. So much that I baked two of them this week: this Marble Cake to take to work and Carrot Cake for the home. And honestly, I chose these two cakes because I knew the aromas that will fill my home will make compensate for the grey winter days we were having. While the carrot cake is our love, this Marble Cake may just have added itself to our list of faves! It was a hit at the office. It was all gone within a few hours. Perfect with tea or coffee, this cake is vanilla-y, chocolatey and looks like a piece of abstract art. Other than the deliciousness of this cake, the scents it releases while being baked are divine!
No long stories now. Check out how we made this below.
- Butter (half melted)- 1 cup
- Vanilla essence- 1 tbsp
- Baking powder- 3 tsp
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Flour- 1 2/3 cup
- Eggs (large)- 4
- Cocoa powder- 3 tbsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Combine butter, vanilla essence, baking powder, sugar, flour and eggs in a large bowl. With a hand-held mixer, whisk until everything is just combined. Don’t over-whisk.
- Separate the batter in half. In a portion of the batter, add cocoa powder and milk. Mix until just combined.
- In a non-stick loaf pan, alternate between dollops of vanilla and chocolate batter. Once all the batter is in, give the pan a tap on the counter to smooth the top. With the back of a teaspoon, create swirls to your liking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. We baked this for exactly 37 minutes.