A couple of weeks ago, we made this salad for a family brunch. It was a big hit! We love this salad because it uses canned beans and so saves any time that may be used for boiling. On the days we make this salad, we chop up all the veggies we have left in the fridge and in our pantry. Great trick for eating all the food at home and not throwing anything away! The simple salad dressing is perfectly compliments the ingredients, making all the ingredients pop.
So while there are some fantastic Fall recipes posted these days, this is our version of one of them. It might not be a warm/hot dish, but the colors sure are autumn-y. 😉
- Red beans- 1 cup
- Chickpeas- 1 cup
- Black eyed peas- 1 cup
- Chopped cucumber- 1/3 cup
- Chopped onion- 1/3 cup
- Chopped fresh coriander- ¼ cup
- Red bell pepper- 1/3 cup
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes- ½ tsp
- Dried herbs of choice (we used thyme)- ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder- ½ tsp
- Garlic powder*- ½ tsp
- Lemon zest- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice- 1-2 tbsp
* You may also use 1 finely chopped/minced garlic in place of garlic powder.
- For the salad dressing: mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine red beans, chickpeas, black eyed peas, onions, coriander, and red bell pepper in a large bowl. Pour the salad dressing over everything and mix well.