We love creating recipes in which the vegetable is the star. This recipe was an attempt to cook bell peppers in a way that has a great presentation and tastes amazing. While we filled this with minced beef, you can experiment with different filling options. We cannot say that this comes together in no time and effort. However, with a little work, you will be pleased with the end result. You can have these as they are or with a side of mashed potatoes or spiced rice.
- Stuffed bell peppers – 2
- Beef minced – 250g
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Zucchini – 1/2 cup
- Carrots/ yam – 1/2 cup
- Mushrooms – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Dried mixed herbs – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Red chilli flakes – to taste
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Fill a medium, deep pot with water 2/3 way up. Bring to a boil.
- Cut the crown of bell peppers, core, and remove the membranes. Dunk them in the boiling water for 7 minutes.
- Place them on a baking tray, standing up. (If the peppers can’t stand steadily, you can make a mold with aluminum foil)
- In a pan, drizzle some olive oil.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add the minced beef and cook until the water runs dry.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they are transparent.
- Now add rest of the vegetables, spices, and dried mixed herbs. Mix well.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water, lower heat and put a lid on. Cook until the vegetables are almost done and water has dried.
- Stuff this filling in the bell peppers. Bake for 20-22 .
- If you wish, top each pepper with some cheese and bake for another 5-7 mins.
- Serve warm.