Siwayaan or vermicelli is a favorite dessert ingredient in the subcontinent. Happy occasions like Eid aren’t complete without some sweet dish made with siwayaan. We tried a little something different this time and made a crispy dessert out of this. This recipe is inspired from a dessert made by MRS.’s aunt. While our family got together for Eid this year, this dessert’s plate was wiped clean in minutes.
- Butter – 1½ tbsp + 1 tsp
- Siwayaan/ vermicelli(crushed) – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 3-4
- Sweetened condensed milk – 1/2 cup
- Pistachios – 1/3 cup
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1½ tbsp of butter over medium-low heat.
- Add crushed seeds of 3-4 cardamoms. Stir for about 30 seconds until butter is fragrant.
- Add crushed siwayaan/vermicelli. Toast until slightly golden. Take off the heat and dish out.
- Rinse the frying pan and return to heat over medium-high.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter and add condensed milk.
- Once condensed milk begins to simmer, add toasted siwayaan/vermicelli. Stir well until it is just combined with the condensed milk.
- Spread the mixture over butter paper/non-stick baking sheet.
- Top with chopped pistachios.
- Let it cool completely. Cut into pieces before serving.