Chicken Handi happens to be one of the most popular feature on menus of any authentic Pakistani restaurant. This Chicken delight, thickened with a healthy helping of Cream has mild bursts of spices that elevate flavors to an entirely different level. While traditionally this dish is cooked and served in a clay pot called “Handi”, we at 704 try to make most of the utensils available in our and for that matter any regular kitchen.
P.S. MR firmly believes, this dish is bound to be a star at your next party.
- Garlic paste – 1½ tsp
- Onion (medium) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Chicken – 500g
- Tomatoes (medium and ripe) – 2 (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder/ zeera powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder/ haldi – 1/3 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder/ dhaniya powder – 1½ tsp
- Cumin seeds/ zeera – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Yogurt – 200g
- Green chillies (coarsely chopped) – 2
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Cooking oil – 4-5 tbsp
- In 4-5 tbsp heated oil, add garlic paste. Cook on high flame for about a minute, stirring regularly.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until white.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, and 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- Mix well,
- Add water. Mix and put a lid on. Cook until tomatoes have softened.
- Add yogurt and mix, cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and chopped green chilies. Mix.
- Add cream and mix!
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh coriander leaves.