With the weather getting hot, we love creating food that is simple to cook and fresh to look at. This recipe is shared by a dear aunt of the MRS and we think it captures the spring season beautifully. It comes together in 15 minutes! It is easy to cook. We almost swear, this will make you fall in love with okra. 😉
- Okra/ bhindi – 250g
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Black cumin seeds/ kalonji – 1/2 tsp
- White cumin seeds/ zeera- 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Round red chillies – 3-4
- Lemon – half
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Almond slivers – 1 tbsp
- Begin by washing and completely drying the okra.
- Chop off the heads and vertically slice okra into halves.
- In a non-stick pan, add about 2 tbsp oil. Heat on medium low flame.
- Add okra and squeeze half a lemon on top. Fry until softened or half way cooked.
- Add green chillies, vertically sliced.
- Combine black cumin/kalonji and white cumin seeds/zeera. Crush coarsely.
- Sprinkle crushed black and white cumin seeds, salt, and round red chillies. Cook until okra/bhindi is cooked through.
- Add almond silvers and give a good mix.
- Lastly, add diced tomatoes. Don’t mix! Put a lid on the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now give a final mix (the tomatoes will be soft, but not pulpy).