Besani roti (gram flour tortilla) and laal (red) chutney is a popular meal option with MRS family. This light gram flour tortilla gets a kick with the laal chutney. Although it tastes best during cold days of the year (you’ll be sweating from the heat of the laal chuttney), we really don’t mind it having any time!
For Besani roti (gram flour tortilla)
- Gram flour/ besan – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1/3 cup
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 2-3
- Mint leaves (chopped) – 4-6
- Salt- to taste
- Red chilli flakes- to taste
For Laal (red) chutney
- Butter or ghee – 2 tbsp
- Garlic clove (minced) – 1
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp (heaped)
- Salt – to taste
- Combine gram flour/besan, whole wheat flour, chopped green chillies and mint leaves, salt, and red chilli flakes. Whisk through to ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now sprinkle water, little by little at a time, and mix with your fingers. Keep adding water until the dry mixture turns into a dough. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in two parts. Shape a round ball. On a clean surface, sprinkle some whole wheat flour and roll out the round ball to a 0.5 cm thickness.
- Cook on a tawa or non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat until both sides are golden.
Laal (red) chutney
- In a non-stick pan, add butter or ghee, minced garlic, red chilli powder, and salt. Melt butter and ghee and ensure all ingredients are well incorporated. Let cook for 2 minutes more and then dish out.