This recipe is a favorite when it comes to having something vegetarian for a meal. It’s easy, fresh, and light to eat. What we love is that is goes perfectly with either roti or rice. Whenever eggplants are in season, we never want to let go of the opportunity of making this delicious dish.
- Eggplant – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato (cubed) – 1 medium
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander – 2 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2-3
- Water – 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup
- Over low heat, toast eggplant under it wrinkles and softens. Peel off the skin and mash the pulp. Set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat some oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds. Once they begin to splutter, add onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sautè until onions are begin to golden.
- Now add tomatoes and all the spices. Give a good mix. Pour in 1/2 cup water, lower heat, and cover to cook until tomatoes have softened.
- Add mashed eggplant pulp. Mix well and pour in 1/3 cup water. When water has almost dried out, add fresh coriander and green chillies. Give a good final mix before turning the heat off.
- Serve with roti or rice.