You can never have enough of some ingredients. For us, potatoes is one of them. We are always eager to learn and experiments with recipes that involve potatoes. If you are a fan of Pakistani and Indian food, you must be aware of aloo samosas! This crispy snack is a treat for the taste buds because of its hearty filling of flavorful potatoes. The MR. took on the challenge to recreate Aloo Samosa at home that we usually would buy from outside. This took a little of work to make, but it was totally worth it. We don’t think we’ll be buying these from the market anymore.
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Pinch of salt
- Ajwain/carom seeds – 1 tsp
- Canola oil – 1/4 cup
- Water – as needed
- Potatoes (medium & boiled) – 3
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Rai/ black mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Karri patta/ curry leaves – 10-12
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Green chillies (chopped) – 2
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- In a large bowl, sift flour and add salt and ajwain/carom seeds. Mix until well combined.
- Now add canola oil and mix with your fingers until the mixtures resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add water and knead into a soft dough.
- Mash boiled potatoes and set aside.
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high flame. Add rai/black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add curry leaves and cook for a minute until oil is fragrant.
- Now add spice powders and mix everything until combined.
- Add mashed potatoes into the wok and mix well until everything is well combined.
- Lastly, sprinkle roughly chopped mint leaves, turn off the heat, and put a lid on. Let the mixture take on the fragrance of mint for 3-5 minutes. After that, give the filling mixture a good mix.
- Cool the mixture completely before assembly.
- To a make the samosa, divide the samosa shell dough in parts (make small balls).
- Roll out each ball as thin as a tortilla. Now cut through the center so that you have 2 semi-circles per dough ball.
- With your hands, join the two pointy ends together so that you have a shell. Spoon the filling in and then seal the shell with your fingers.
- Deep fry until golden brown.